I signed up on Twitter last 2009 and I’ve fell in love with it since then. The micro-blogging idea was genius. I love the challenge of coming up with something under the limit of 140 characters. In my case it is silly, funny or even bitchy. And what I really loved with twitter are some of the followers who appreciate your thoughts by retweeting what you have tweeted. It is like being appreciated or getting an approval or agreement on something you want the whole universe to know.
But lately, since I’m the type of person who would try to do a follow back as sometimes this is more of a social obligation and responsibility neglecting the fact that I should just follow a person because I’m interested in what they have to say. But in my defense, how would I know that unless I try following back? So I just try to evaluate my timeline on a regular basis. Yes don’t be surprised I can be that courteous but only up to a certain extent and time.
I just find it a little bit weird when people take it against you when you unfollow them. Sometimes, I just want to tell them “make your tweets interesting then people would follow you back! And seriously I’ve got enough drama in my life and I don’t need your crap!” Twitter is not for the faint-hearted you must know that. A lot of bitches and stupid idiots are out there to annoy you so be wary.
So with this, I began to think maybe I can come up with helpful tips to twitter users that will benefit both the new ones and the old ones. Well, twitter is a user-driven platform so I guess my opinion is as good as anyone’s out there.
- Be social. Twitter was meant to promote exchanges between users. If you get a mention from someone you don’t know or don’t want to talk to, just ignore them. It is expected to happen since twitter is for everyone. Don’t be surprised when someone reacts to your tweet. If you don’t want to get them just go up to the mountains and be a monk.
- My second tip reminds me of this first tip. Be courteous. If you don’t like what you read from your follower just don’t mind them. Ignore or at least be gracious.
- Grammar. I know that I commit grammar mistakes, too but don’t make it a habit. Besides, you can always use our own language especially if you’re not good with the foreign language. Save us from more harm, please start using our own.
- Have a sense of humor. For God’s sake, it’s a sign of intelligence. I personally had an experience with this. Believe me there are users who don’t even know what humor is.
- RT means retweet. It is used when you find the need to share someone’s tweet because you find it really important. And oh please don’t retweet your own tweets, it is so pathetic. And avoid using RT to reply when in fact you can just “quote tweet” it. It’s not “reply tweet” it is retweet you idiot!
- Refrain from too much drama and negativity. You can rant for a time and have your frustrations vent out but up to certain extent only. If you have too much pain to let go of maybe you should find a friend to talk to or even see a psychiatrist.
- This is a personal favorite. Hold back the urge to tweet too much err, flooding your followers’ timelines. If you have a lot of thoughts, blog about it then you can always share the link to your followers. Less is more, believe me!
Again, these are just my tips. At least if you want to get my attention and you care too much about NOT annoying me then you can just follow these tips. I know that there’s someone not going to agree with these but I know at least there’ll be someone who is going to agree with at least one of them.
Before I end up this post, there’s another thing that’s amusing me lately. People who are proud and happy for being twitter jailed. I just don’t get it really. Sometimes, I just want to tell them, “Don’t you find yourself annoying enough and you have to wait for a validation to know that?”
I guess this is just me and the signs of aging and for your information just recently I had to unfollow users who have been annoying me and flooding my timeline. I was able to remove 160 from my following list because I just want it simple, for my timeline to be happy, bitchy and of course witty.
Just remember this, I follow this rule: Following you on Twitter doesn’t make us friends so if I have unfollowed you, it doesn’t mean we’re not friends. It is just that I’m not a fan of your thoughts and I don’t find it interesting. Again, twitter is not for the faint-hearted if you can’t deal with you might as well get out of it.